Search This Blog

Monday, June 15, 2020

- A Taste of Sage




 A Taste of Sage

by Yaffa S. Santos

Lumi Santana, grew up with a mother who believed that love and dreams are fairy tales.  But She never gave up on her dreams and opened her Dominican restaurant. the story introduced me to the culture and food which I found remarkably interesting. Things did not work out at her restaurant and her venture fails. Trying to make her ends meet, she takes a position as a sous chef with Julien Dax who is a renowned chef at a traditional French restaurant.

Lumi is amazingly gifted and she can guess people’s sentiment when she tastes the food they cook.

Working with Julien, she is surprised with the disconnect between the mean, arrogant, practically intolerable Julien and the feeling he spread into his food.

Dax (Julien) and Lumi have quite different cooking styles. Dax is all about classic where as Lumi enjoys modernization. Our main characters gradually get to know each other and start to fall in love.

We also get to know Esme, Dax’s obsessed Secretary who is in love with him. But for me it was like a commercial ad, she was there and then she was gone.

Overall, I liked the fast-paced story line and I think it has potential. I really enjoyed the recipes and I think it was very brilliant to add them to the story.

The dual perspective (Julien and Lumi’s perspective) storyline was really attractive

I found Lumi’s character was likable and at times naïve. While Dax’s character made me feel bored at times. The characters where not fully developed and were superficial. And that is why I have a 3-star rating for this book.

 

Many thanks to Harper Collins Publishers for the gifted copy.

Goodreads | Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment